Sign up for our free weekly newsletter today so you’ll never miss an investigation!
A progressive income tax is Illinois’ best shot at solving budget crisis
After many years of struggle, it looks like momentum for progressive tax reform in Illinois is picking up.If we can cut through the haze of big money media campaigns and have an honest and fact-based discussion of this issue – with a measure of compassion for the folks who rely on and provide crucial public services – we may be able to move this state forward.
- Solitary confinement of juveniles on the rise in Cook County
- Community benefits coalition wants to include all the players, not just Obama Foundation
- Private schools, poised to grow in Illinois, move into closed Chicago public schools
- Proposed labor watchdog would give city’s worker protection laws some teeth
- In police oversight proposal, mayoral ally cribs off wrong model
- Voting could soon be easier at all Illinois jails
- U. of C. police shooting came at time of increased stops, continued disparities
Discrimination, race, and income inequality are not easy topics to tackle head on, but at The Chicago Reporter we’ve been breaking the news in the area of social justice and civil rights and documenting it since 1972. Our watchdog reporters are working the streets and neighborhoods all over the city to bring you deeply investigated stories and relevant commentary that will enlighten you about the leaders who make and enforce laws. It’s about transparency and taking on core issues that affect us all and particularly the most vulnerable communities in Chicago.